Pray for Schools Sunday
by Travis Deans
Several youth organizations in the Pittsburgh area have joined together with NNYM and the Campus Alliance to encourage churches to pray for their local schools on the Sunday before See You At The Pole each year. This year, Sunday, September 23rd will be “Pray for Our Schools Sunday” and we are asking churches in our area to dedicate that Sunday morning, or some portion of it, to praying for our schools. Here are some ideas we sharing with our churches…
- Include the “Pray For Our Schools” bulletin insert with your bulletin
- Invite teachers, administrators, and support staff to stand and pray over them
- Invite all the kids in your congregation up front to pray for them
- Commission students who feel called to be missionaries to their schools
- Invite local principals/administrators to tell your church how they can pray
- Invite a leader from a local campus ministry organization (see below) to come and talk about what churches can do to make a difference in local schools
Around 95% of American teenagers pass through public high schools and our communities are very much centered around our schools (just go to a Friday night football game or spring musical to see how true this is!). We can’t begin to reach our communities without reaching our local schools, beginning with prayer.
We hope to see hundreds of churches in western Pennsylvania participate and we hope that churches all over the nation will catch this vision too!